The JD/MSA Program in Tax Law at ONU
One program. Two degrees. Just three years.
For some aspiring attorneys interested in tax law, one degree just isn’t enough. That’s why they decide to pursue both a Juris Doctor and a Master of Science in Accounting at Ohio Northern University. Join them, and if you stay on track, you could have both degrees in just three years.
You’ll begin your studies with the standard first-year curriculum in the College of Law. Your second and third years will include federal income taxation and three specialized courses and electives. You’ll also get valuable field experience in tax accounting through an externship for credit. After your third year of study, you’ll walk across the stage and accept a law degree and a Master of Science in Accounting during graduation in the spring.
- Two degrees in three years
- Placement in a tax-focused externship
- Earn enough credits to sit for the CPA exam
- Broaden your credentials in two disciplines
- Excellent preparation in tax compliance, tax planning, tax research and tax litigation
- Small classes taught by experienced tax professionals
Core MSA Curriculum (12 hours)
- MSA 5101 Professional Ethics and Sarbanes – Oxley Compliance
- MSA 5201 Corporate Governance and Risk Management
- MSA 5741 The Accounting Professional
- MSA 5801 Internship
The core MSA courses are blended courses requiring campus-based class time during weekends and online participation. They do not count towards your JD.
Tax Law Curriculum (18 hours)
- Federal Income Tax
- Three Tax Electives
- Business Valuation
Requirements for Admission
To enter this program, you’ll need an undergraduate degree in accounting or a related field with equivalent coursework. You’ll also need to meet the requirements of our JD program, which can be found here.