Summer Starter Checklist
Congratulations on your acceptance to the 2020 Summer Starter Program! Below, we've compiled a checklist of items to complete before your arrival on campus in June. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about any of the items mentioned below:
Reminder that a mandatory Summer Orientation will take place on Friday, June 12, 2020 and the first day of Summer classes begins on Monday, June 15, 2020.
January – March
☐ Submit the FAFSA any time after Oct. 1, 2019.
- The Office of Financial Aid will begin processing admitted law students who have submitted a FAFSA form after Jan. 2, 2020.
☐ Carefully read through your acceptance packet and note any important dates and deadlines. If you have any questions about the contents of your acceptance packet, please contact the Office of Law Admissions.
☐ Submit Your Seat Deposit
- Submit your seat deposit in the amount of $600.00. Due dates for your deposits are included in your acceptance packet, and you can submit your deposit here.
☐ Accept Your Scholarship Award
- You can find your scholarship award included in your acceptance packet. Please return one copy of the scholarship/grant notice in the prepaid envelope provided in your acceptance packet. Print a copy for your personal records.
☐ Activate Your ONU Email Account
- You will receive your Banner login information via email once you submit your second seat deposit. Follow the instructions included.
☐ Send Us Your Final Transcripts
- All students are required to provide the Office of Law Admissions with one final official transcript or one e-transcript from your degree-granting institution showing both the date and degree awarded. This certified copy must be sent directly from your undergraduate college or university. Students are not permitted to physically handle the transcript at any part in the transfer process.
- Please have your transcript mailed to: Office of Law Admissions, Ohio Northern University, 525 South Main Street, Ada, OH 45810.
- Please have your e-transcript emailed to: email@example.com.
- If you submitted your transcripts to LSAC/CAS before you completed your degree, you need to submit a final official transcript to LSAC. You can see if we have received your final official transcript by logging in to your Applicant Status Online (ASO) and checking the "Requirements List" section.
- Ensure that your final transcripts are received by the Office of Law Admissions prior to the first day of Summer classes. We will make an exception for students who are graduating from their undergraduate institution during the month of May; in which case, please request your final transcript to be sent to the Office of Law Admissions as soon as possible.
- You can mail these forms back to the Health Services Office in the pre-stamped envelope included in your Orientation packet. Note that this must be completed prior to Summer orientation.
☐ Join the ONU Class of 2023 Facebook group!
- Connect with incoming students, receive updates on off-campus housing opportunities and follow any updates related to orientation.
- Like the general ONU Law Facebook page for other relevant campus and college updates.
☐ Update your mailing address and emailing address with the Office of Law Admissions if either has changed during the admissions process.
☐ Secure Your Law Housing
- On-Campus Law Housing is located at Courtyard Apartments for the duration of the Summer Starter Program, and some students elect to continue living there during their 1L year. To register for this housing option, log in to Self Service Banner using your ONU username and password. Your “My Housing” account is your portal to your room assignment, roommate information, and meal plan.
- Off-Campus Housing options can be found using the Off-Campus Landlord List for available rental properties around Ada. Check back every few weeks for updates!
☐ Review Your Summer Class Schedule
- Access your class schedule by signing up for your Banner Account using Self-Service Banner instructions. Please ensure that all your contact information is up to date.
☐ Order Your Textbooks ASAP
- Your booklist can be found on the Barnes & Noble Bookstore webpage. Your course numbers can be found on the course syllabi provided by Professor Flake and Professor Mittendorf.
- The ONU Bookstore is offering free UPS shipping on ALL online orders or you can pick them up in-person at the ONU Bookstore located in the McIntosh Center.
☐ Sign up for Nixle Campus Alerts, a service offered through the Office of Public Safety.
☐ Student Account Statement
- Your Summer semester statement will be sent to your email in early-mid May 2020 and will be due the first day of classes, June 15, to the Office of the Controller.
☐ Sign Up for Direct Deposit
- The direct deposit option offered by the Office of the Controller will have your loan refunds disbursed directly into your bank account. Funds will be disbursed after the first week of classes.
☐ Activate Your MAX Account
- Complete lessons 1 & 2. You will receive email instructions on how to activate your account in July.
☐ Review your Fall class schedule using your Banner account.
☐ Order Your Textbooks
- Your booklist can be found on the Barnes & Noble Bookstore webpage.
☐ Student Account Statement
- Your Fall semester statement will be sent to your email in July 2020 and are due the first day of classes, August 24, to the Office of the Controller.
☐ Prepare for Fall Orientation
- Check your ONU email for your Fall Orientation packet, which will be emailed in July.
- Fall Orientation will take place on August 20-21, 2020 by viewing the schedule online (schedule will be available late summer). Please note that participation for Summer Starter students is required for certain events.
- Mark your calendar for the Welcome Back BBQ hosted by the Student Bar Association on Friday, Aug. 21. (Location and time will be announced in late summer.)
☐ Sign Your Master Promissory Notes (if applicable)
- If you are a Federal Direct or Federal PLUS loan borrower, you need to sign your Master Promissory Notes and complete entrance counseling online before Aug. 1.