Remember: it is important to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to receive the full benefits of any need-based or federal aid. Available sources of aid are as follows:



To qualify for a federal loan, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may then apply for federal loans at www.studentloans.gov and complete the loan application, the entrance counseling for graduate students and master promissory note.  


Federal Direct Stafford Unsubsidized Loan

ONU Law students are eligible for up to $20,500 in unsubsidized Stafford loans. The amount a student qualifies for is based on other financial aid received and aggregate loan limits. Federal loans are deferred until the student graduates or falls below part-time status. The grace period is six months. Unsubsidized means that the interest accrues on the loan once the loan is disbursed.  


Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

Students can qualify to borrow up to the cost of attendance through the Grad PLUS loan; however, a credit check must be completed. Payments on this loan are deferred until six months after graduation or the end of enrollment and may be used to cover any remaining education needs up to the total cost of attendance. The total cost of attendance includes tuition, living expenses and books. A 4.204 percent processing fee will be applied at disbursement.  



Private student loans are available through all major lenders. A student can borrow up to their cost of attendance minus all other financial aid sources. Rates vary based on borrower’s credit and the chosen lender, so a cosigner may be necessary. There is usually no processing fee required. Private loans are not eligible for federal loan forgiveness programs.



ONU Law offers several federal work study (FWS) positions that are reserved for law students. To qualify for a FWS position, students must complete the FAFSA. Examples of FWS positions include teaching assistants, research assistants and library assistants. Work study is highly discouraged as a first-year law student. If you wish to do work study during your second and third years of law school, the amount is deducted from private or Stafford eligibility because your financial aid is awarded to the total cost of attendance. You will need to notify the Office of Financial Aid of your intention to utilize FWS at that time.