Skip To Main Content
Skip To Main Content

Transfer & International Applicants


ONU Law welcomes students looking to transfer. We believe our supportive, student-focused environment allows transfer students the opportunity for an easy and successful transition

In order to transfer, students must be in good standing at a law school accredited by the American Bar Association. To apply, transfer students must submit the following information.

  1. Application for Admission - Free online
  2. Credential Assembly Service's (CAS) report including all undergraduate work and LSAT score(s)
  3. A letter from the dean or appropriate law school official stating that the student is in good standing and eligible to return to his/her current school
  4. An official transcript of all law school work
  5. Class rank in law school

Generally, ONU Law will transfer credits earned in any course offered by another accredited law school in which a student earned a grade of a "C" or better.  Students attending unaccredited law schools may apply, and must follow the same procedures for admission as transfer students. However, credit will not be granted for work undertaken at an unaccredited law school. Accepted students who have attended an unaccredited law school are classified as entering first year students.



Welcome International applicants! We hope our site provides you with all the necessary information needed to apply to our school. Requirements for admission are listed below.

Applicants who are neither United States citizens nor resident aliens must, in addition to submitting all listed admission requirements in the Applying to Law School section, provide the College of Law with the following information:

  1. Official TOEFL or IELTS score report.

  2. Transcripts from each undergraduate institution attended. The transcripts must indicate that the applicant has received at least a bachelor's degree (or its equivalent). If the institution(s) are located outside the United States and are not eligible to use CAS, the transcripts must be analyzed and the grades converted to a standard 4.0 grading scale. International students can obtain this analysis and conversion from:
    World Education Service (WES)
    P.O. Box 745
    Old Chelsea Station
    New York, NY 10113-0745 USA

  3. International students are not eligible to participate in the United States Government student loan programs but may qualify for the award of an institutional scholarship. Consequently, international students must submit documentation of their ability to fund their legal education, including living expenses (please refer to the Fee Schedule on page 38). Please complete the Affidavit of Financial Support, if you have any questions about the form please call the Office of Law Admissions at 419-772-2211 or email  

  4. Copy of your passport



After completing your law degree outside Canada, you must obtain a Certificate of Qualification from the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) before seeking admission to a law society in any Canadian common law jurisdiction.

The NCA assesses the legal education and professional experience of individuals who obtained their credentials outside Canada and may impose further educational requirements before it will issue a Certificate. You should expect the NCA to review your legal education and professional experience (if any) and require you to do the following:

  • Acquire Canadian legal knowledge through self-study and/or courses at a Canadian law school, and
  • Successfully complete several examinations.

These requirements may take a substantial amount of time and can cost a significant amount of money. 

For more information about how your law degree may be assessed by the NCA and the requirements that may be imposed, go to: 

For more information, contact Member Services or the National Committee on Accreditation.



PDF icon financial_affidavit_form.pdf30.65 KB